5 Tips to Conquer Social Media Using the 80/20 Rule
Tuesday, 1st October, 2019
The 80/20 rule applies specifically to social media marketing. This means that 80% of your social media posts should be non-promotional strategic marketing posts whilst 20% should be about your brand or your business.
Your goal on social media—whether you are there as an individual or a brand — is to build genuine relationships with online users to covert them to potential consumers. It’s not about selling your product or services, It’s about providing engaging content to give users a reason to follow you, building an online community, having an brand personality, increasing your brand awareness and genuinely relating and interacting with your target market, all whilst popping in now and again to say ‘Hey, we also have this product/ service if you’re interested?!’.
Why? Because people use social media to be social, they don’t want to be subjected to your online sales pitch.
With consumers increasingly expecting a two-way conversation, brands must be far more honest and authentic in trying to build that trust and encourage customer loyalty.
Applying the 80/20 Rule:
5 Tips for the 20% of Promotional Content
- Sell the problem you solve not the product
- Include persuasive CAT’s (call-to-actions) that inspires your audience to learn more about your brand
- Link back to your website
- Be self aware
- Include a discount, add a special offer, provide useful statistics, etc.
5 Tips for the 80% of Shareable & Quality Content
- Share UGC (user generated) content that supports your thinking and the way you do business
- Prioritise visual content
- Don’t just simply share valuable content – highlight what makes it a must-read
- Provide your audience with something of value. Did you make them laugh? Did you teach them something new?
- Consider sharing competitors’ content, in the name of building trust with YOUR customers
Are you utilising the 80/20 Rule in your Social Media Marketing strategy? Need some help to grow your business through social? Fill out my ‘Needs Form’ at the bottom of my website and let’s start ‘shake up your social media’.